Jobs for Fashion Communication, NIFT
A 4th year NIFT student, Malvika Jain, shares her inputs about various job aspects in Fashion Communication.
All the candidates who apply to the Fashion Communication program at NIFT are curious as to what jobs it will land them. Here is the article that tells you what’s out there for you. I am about to complete my fourth year at NIFT.
There are some ready-made jobs and there are jobs that you will have to create for yourself. You study so many things in FC that you know a little of everything when you leave. The internships and elective courses at FC do push you towards you interests but it’s still a sea. It is your job to decide what exactly you want to do exactly and where you wish to specialize.A big choice to make at the end of the course is whether you want to go right into fashion or not. For some, it’s not a tough call. Here is what my class of 35 people are doing.
- Advertising– Copywriters and Art
FC really helps you towards this career.
- Fashion journalists for Elle, Marie Claire, Femina, Harper’s Bazaar
- Fashion Photographers for magazines, newspapers, designers
- Fashion stylists at Elle, Marie Claire, Femina, F&A. Fashion stylists imagine and implement the look of a collection, or for a photo shoot. They collect the garments, props and compose looks for a romantic shoot in green lawns, or a grungy image for levi’s or the entire Vogue magazine. According to Instituto Marangoni: Fashion stylists are experts of image and style. Their work is creative and mindful of trends; they must identify the finest styles and offer a well-coordinated image. Fashion stylists are essential to a collection’s success.
- Graphic designers at various companies like K factor, Whitelight
- Visual Merchandisers for brands like Benetton, Shopper’s Stop, Madura. They do window displays, in-store display, sometimes even packaging keeping in mind the brand image, items to be promoted/ sold off first and ease+entertainment in shopping. It’s about designing an environment and the customer’s interaction with the brand.