MIT Institute of Design Admission 2018: Exam Date, Application Form, Admit Card
Established in 2006, the MID Institute of Design plays a major role in shaping the career of hundreds of design aspirants from India and aboard. The MIT Institute of Design is at the forefront of design and fashion studies in India. MIT is committed to guiding the young minds to build their identity in the global design community. International collaborations with multiple renowned design schools have made MIT one of the most sought-after schools by design aspirants. Apart from B.Des programs, MIT also offers UG collaborative courses in association with international design schools.
The uniqueness of MIT lies in its approach towards education, as MIT aims at enabling its students to make humane and logical application of the technologies of the 21st century and time-tested methods. The institute also has several advanced learning centres.
- 1 Requisites:
MITID DAT Admission Procedure
The admission procedure in MIT is divided into two simple phases – DAT in phase 1, and Studio Test + Personal Interview in phase 2. The procedure is described elaborately below –
Step 1: Registration for Design Aptitude Test (DAT) online at www.dat.net.in
Step 2: Activation of DAT account by clicking the automated verification link sent via email.
Step 3: The application form is to be filled as per instructions.
Step 4: Scanned images of relevant documents are to be uploaded as per directions, and final submission of the application form is to be made.
Step 5: Application fee INR 3360 (3000 +12% GST)* is to be paid through Net Banking/ Credit card or Debit card/ Demand draft only.
*Fee structure is for Indian applicants.
Step 6: Generation of admit card from email/DAT portal.
Step 7: Taking DAT at the exam centre as selected in the application form.
Step 8: Appearing for studio test and personal interview.
Step 9: Admission based on final merit list.
- Documents to be scanned and uploaded while applying are- mark sheet of 10th board exam, mark sheet of 12th board exam (HSC, CBSE, ICSE, IB), caste certificate (if relevant), domicile certificate (if relevant), and certificate for belonging to Non Creamy layer. Aspirants appearing for class 12 board exams need not upload the mark sheet of class 12 or equivalent examination. However, at the time of admission, it is compulsory to submit the same.
- While appearing for studio test, applicants must bring their portfolio.
- Upon application under the reserved category, submission of self-attested copies of documents that prove their qualification as the reserved category is mandatory.
Test centers for Design Aptitude Test (DAT) – Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Bhopal, Chandigarh, Chennai, Delhi, Goa, Hyderabad, Indore, Jaipur, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mumbai, Nagpur, Patna, and Pune.
Dates to remember:
- Application form to be submitted online by 28th February 2018.
- Design Aptitude Test to be tentatively held on 1st April 2018.
- Results of Design Aptitude Test to be declared on 16th April 2018.
- Studio Test & Interview for B. Des to be held from 2nd to 9th May 2018.
- The Final Merit list for B.Des to be published on 11th May 2018.
- The UG programs are likely to commence from 2nd July 2018.
For B.Des design and fashion programs in MIT, aspirants who have secured at least 50% marks in 10+2 board exams can apply irrespective of subjects or streams.
Courses and Fees
Apart from specializations in Industrial Design, Communication Design and Fashion Design, MIT offers several UG collaborative programs for 4 years (2+2) wherein BA (Hons) subject are taught alongside design programs.
For the academic session 2018 -2019, the B. Des Program has 200 vacancies and B. Des Fashion program has 60 vacancies. Courses offered under Design and fashion design programs for specializations are-
- Product Design
- Transportation Design
- Interior Space & Furniture Design
- Retail Design
- User Experience Design
- Graphic Design
- Animation Film Design
- Film & Video Design
- Game Design (only for B.Des)
- New Media Design (only for B.Des)
- B.Des Fashion Design
- B.Des Fashion Communication
For the academic year 2018-2019, fee structure for Design Programs will be INR 5,22,750/- *inclusive of all charges. Composite fees amount is subject to a rise of 10% every year.
Faculty and facilities
The MIT college campus is a Design Habitat that has a total generalist ambience for the young minds to acquire design skills through research and training. The mentors of MIT take the responsibility of aiding and inspiring the MIT students in all disciplines through regular interactive sessions. Programs like the Student Entrepreneurship Awareness program aims to spark the creativity of the aspiring designers.
The MIT campus buzzes with book exhibitions, sports, and recreational activities throughout the year. MIT’s world-class infrastructure offers a wide range of amenities including hostels, sports facility, library, large studio spaces, model shops, computer labs, convention centres, etc. MIT has teams of both full-time faculty and visiting faculty. Prof. Dhimant Panchal is the Director of this design institute.
Placement and Package & Internship
MIT promotes international student exchange programs. The campus placement season of MIT roughly begins from the month of December every year. MIT students get opportunities to complete their internship in the biggest national and international business groups. Industry participation in job fairs is one of the key aspects of MIT. It has also got a global alumni network to aid its students. As of 2015, it had formed international collaborations with the universities of UK, Hong Kong, Germany, and France.
A major part of the design courses is Diploma project programs that extend up to 20 weeks. It provides an excellent opportunity to the students to adopt the international standards and work with design studios in India and around the world. It has also got a global alumni network to aid its students. MIT students can easily interact with MIT alumni through the official alumni website of MIT.
Some of the biggest names where MIT students began their career as interns at – IBM, Microsoft, Nirav Modi, Leo Burnett, Cybage, Sleek Kitchens, Honda, Glitch, Directi, Godrej & Boyce, etc.
Firms were MIT students were placed as per disciplines are-
- Animation- Bombay Design House, SYU Design, Timeus-Interactive, etc
- Interior Space & Furniture Design- Incense Interior Exterior Pvt Ltd, Tesco, Baaya Design, Furnitech Seating Systems, NeelKamal
- Product Design- Anchor Panasonic, Axiom, Bang Design, Bitchemy, CKS, Cosire Innovations, Design Flyover, Desmania, Human Factors International, Iternia Branding, Lumium, Maatti, Parksons Packaging, Tata Elxsi, TCS, Trifecta Design, Videocon, Wit Works, Zikwa
- Graphic Design- Eureka Moment, DY Works, Human Factors, Indian Type Foundry, Glitch Design, Clarice Technologies, Ray and Keshavan, Universal Design Studio, Unicove, Persistent Systems, Capgemini, HB Design, Please see, TCS, Indi Design, Leaf Design, Idea Factory
- Retail & Exhibition Design- Fitch, FRDC, Surreal, Restore, Figments, Cream Event
- Transportation Design- General Motors, Honda R&D, Maruti, Tata Motors, Bafana Healthcare, Maruti Suzuki
- User Experience Design- McAfee, Mind Sticks
MIT for Placement Procedure
Step 1: Online registration and selection of interest areas
Step 2: Pre-placement interaction
Step 3: Sharing of student’s portfolio by MIT’s Training & Placement cell.
Step 4: The students are notified of the dates for interview.
Step 5: Selection test and interview conducted (Face-to-Face/ Skype/ Video Conferencing)
Step 6: Final selection result
The package, Salary Details:
By the statistics of 2015, 39% of MIT students bagged salary package of 4-5 lacs per annum. Another 17% vouched for salary package as high as 6 lacs per annum.