How to Crack NID 2020 at The First Attempt
Think design, think National Institute of Design. And to crack the entrance examinations of NID, Ahmedabad, think OPUS is, by far, the best Indian institute for product designing, product concept development and design innovation, acclaimed globally for design excellence. NID teaches students about design and art, aesthetic sense and extracts of design engineering. It is focussed on art, aesthetics and product development.
Crack NID 2020
Established in 1961, NID is also known as the most difficult design school in India to get into. It has only about 100 seats in its B.Des programmes and a mere 275 seats in its M.Des programmes across its three campuses. The main campus is in Ahmedabad. Later on, the PG campus came up in Gandhinagar and the R&D campus in Bangalore.
Admission at NID Coaching Centre
NID offers admissions to aspirants in Bachelor of Design (BDes) as well as Master of Design (MDes) programmes on the basis of their performance in NID Design Aptitude Test or DAT. Aspirants need to take part in NID DAT (Prelims) and NID DAT (Mains). Candidates who are shortlisted in NID DAT (Prelims) can only appear for NID DAT (Mains) admission round.
NID DAT (Prelims) is the written design aptitude test which aspirants have to clear first whereas NID DAT (Mains) comprises a studio test and interview round. Candidates who are clear both these admission rounds are offered admission in design programmes at NID, Ahmedabad and its other campuses.
Best NID Tutorial Tips
So, how does one get into NID Ahmedabad at the first attempt? Here are a few pointers and some clues to clear the NID DAT (Prelims). NID places a lot of importance on design and art; therefore, you are expected to approach even commonplace objects in an out-of-the-box manner. Developing sketching and drawing skills are non-negotiable and you must keep sharpening these skills.
- Practice sketching everyday objects – you may not be asked to sketch something out of a futuristic science fiction zone. But, how well do you understand the way everyday things work will be important.
- Think about details in everyday objects – With the focus on product development, you can be asked what material a ball pen is made of? Why did the designer choose the specific material? What determines the pen’s length? What happens if it were made longer/shorter, thicker/narrower?
- Think out-of-box ideas –So, how can you eat a bowl of noodles if all you have are some disposable paper cups? Or, you have only a notebook, so how can you send a message to a friend who lives 2 km away? Ninjas, robots and pirates are also allowed!
- Speed matters – you pencil should move as fast as your thoughts if you really want to crack the exams. Communicate your idea well and truly but at the speed of light!Time will just fly while taking the NID entrance exams.Draw small thumbnails first, move on to the light hand and then finish with dry colours like ball pens, pencils, crayons, etc.
- Plan your paper – With time at a premium, plan which section you will attempt first, second and so forth.
Crack NID 2020 at First Attempt
While an understanding of engineering drawings are helpful, NID entrance focuses more on aesthetics and understanding of how a design is created and how it works. You will find more commonplace objects to tackle so pay attention in general to your immediate environment.Practise drawing every single thing around you or find reference pictures and draw them, fast.
Cracking the entrance is also about how good your examiner thinks you are. OPUS definitely provides you adequate guidance and mentorship to help you crack the entrance at the very first attempt.
NID DAT (Prelims)
This is a written exam of 100 marks for 3 hours. The DAT tests each student’s ability in
- Problem Solving
- Visual Sense
- Observation & Perception
- Environmental Awareness
- Mental Ability and Communication skills through a range of visual and textual questions.
Best Guidance Tutorial to Crack NID 2020
You need to study English- passages, synonyms and antonyms, sentence completion etc. The mathematics section will test basic maths up to class 10. Definitely, keep yourself up-to-date on current affairs and general knowledge scenarios. Learn about the history of fine arts in India as well as that of Europe etc.If you wish to be a career artist or designer, then your knowledge global art and aesthetics will be helpful.
Practise solving multiple-choice questions, writing short comic-strip-like stories and look up a load of posters on the Internet. You can also build up caricature-drawing skills or the realistic anatomical drawing skills. Prepare models out of daily use stuff like drinking straws, tennis balls, tape, u-pins etc. and do it as fast as possible. Watch movies and observe the acting, direction, cinematography, the background music and the theme.
Build your portfolio with a few paintings, sketches, portraits, photographs. You can also have an online portfolio to show.
Speed and accuracy are the mantras to crack NID at the first attempt. And OPUS is your reliable partner to help you clear the NID entrance examination and succeed in your design career.
Related Post: Difference Between NIFT and NID