NID Admission- Check Complete Registration Details
National Institute of Design (NID) is one of India’s leading design schools apart from National Institute of Fashion Design (NIFT). Where NIFT focuses on fashion-related designing, NID teaches other disciplines within design studies. As such, there is a high demand for NID admission, and getting into the institution can be hard without proper guidance. This article covers complete registration details to get into NID.
NID Course details
NID offers 8 undergraduate (UG) and 19 postgraduate (PG) courses across its three campuses along with Ph.D.
Here is a list of courses offered:
- B. Des. Animation Film Design
- B. Des. Ceramic & Glass Design
- B. Des. Exhibition Design
- B. Des. Film and Video Communication
- B. Des. Furniture and Interior Design
- B. Des. Graphic Design
- B. Des. Product Design
- B. Des. Textile Design
- M. Des. Animation Film Design
- M. Des. Apparel Design
- M. Des. Ceramic & Glass Design
- M. Des. Design for Retail Experience
- M. Des. Digital Game Design
- M. Des. Film and Video Communication
- M. Des. Furniture and Interior Design
- M. Des. Graphic Design
- M. Des. Information Design
- M. Des. Interaction Design
- M. Des. Lifestyle Accessory Design
- M. Des. New Media Design
- M. Des. Photography Design
- M. Des. Product Design
- M. Des. Strategic Design Management
- M. Des. Textile Design
- M. Des. Toy & Game Design
- M. Des. Transportation & Automobile Design
- M. Des. Universal Design
- Registration for a NID admission is as follows:
- Visit http://admissions.nid.edu and sign up
- Fill in the online form with necessary details; click ‘save & proceed’
- Upload the required documents
- Choose a payment option and pay
- Note down the application form number and print the form
- Send in the demand draft to the specified address (if using demand draft)
Careers in Design Entrance
A NID admission can guarantee the graduates a myriad of career options to explore. A student can choose to specialize in their choice of the field from graphic to ceramic design and more. Most design graduates from NID are renowned names in the media and design industry. A choice few include Fashion designer Rahul Mishra and artist Harun Robert (also known as Rob).
NID Eligibility Criteria
To acquire a NID admission, an applicant needs to meet the following criteria:
The upper age limit for B. Des students is 20 years for general and overseas applicants, and 23 and 25 years for SC/ST/ OBC-NCL and PwD categories, respectively. For M. Des applicants, the upper limit is 30 for general and overseas students, 33 and 35 years for SC/ST/OBC-NCL and PwD categories, respectively.
- Des applicants are required to have passed 12th grade or equivalent examination, and M. Des aspirants require bachelor’s degree of either 3 or 4 years (any discipline) from any recognized university.
Number of Seats
NID offers around 100 B. Des, 120 graduate diploma program, 275 graduate seats across its three campuses at Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, and Gandhinagar. The numbers include all reserved categories. Aside from these, 15 seats in B. Des and two per course in M. Des programs for overseas applicants.
NID Application Form
NID admission application forms were available for the academic year 2019-20 from October 1, 2018, at http://admissions.nid.edu. The last date for the submission of online application forms was November 23, 2018, without fine and November 20, 2018, with a fee. For printed application forms, the last date of receiving the post was November 19, 2018.
Uploading required documents
- Students need to submit the following when filling in the NID admission form:
- Scanned photograph in JPG/JPEG format and size fewer than 100KB
- Scanned signature in JPG/JPEG format and size fewer than 100 KB
- Caste or OBC-NCL certificate (whichever applicable) in JPG/JPEG format and size fewer than 150 KB
- Disability certificate, if applicable, in JPG/JPEG format and size fewer than 150 KB
- Scanned copy of first and last pages of passport for overseas applicants
- Certificates of educational qualifications
Payment of application fee
NID admission applicants have two options to pay their application fee: Online gateway (debit/credit cards) and Demand Draft. The fee to be paid is Rs. 2000 for general and OBC-NCL, Rs. 1000 for SC/ST/ PwD, and Rs. 3000 for overseas applicants. Students choosing to pay with a demand draft should address the same to ‘All India Management Association’ payable at New Delhi.
NID Admission Counseling
The NID admission process includes counseling involving three steps:
- Online consent
Applicants who cleared the design aptitude test (DAT), studio test, and interview receive an online consent form that they are required to send within the stipulated time to further proceed in the admission process. The first merit list is created based on the online consent forms submitted by the candidates.
- Uploading documents for verification
The next process in NID admission counseling is uploading original copies of relevant documents such as 10th and 12th mark sheets, birth certificates, and degree certificates (for M. Des.) for verification.
- Provisional admission offer
Candidates whose details have been verified are given provisional admission offer, which includes the following details:
- Rules and regulations
- Physical fitness certificate format
- Format of undertaking to be submitted (only if 12th class or bachelor’s final results are not announced)
- Indemnity bond
- Hostel application form along with rules and regulations
Important Dates for NID Admission
- Application opens for B. Des, GDPD, and M. Des. : October 1, 2018
- Last day of submission without fine: November 9, 2018
- Last day with fine: November 19, 2018
- Last day of receiving printed forms: November 19, 2018
- Window to edit online application: November 20-22, 2018
- Downloading DAT prelims admit card: December 17, 2018
- DAT prelims (all courses): January 6, 2019
- Prelims result for M. Des.: February 15, 2019
- Rechecking window with payment: February 15-17, 2019
- Download mains admit card for M. Des.: March 01, 2019
- DAT mains for M. Des.: March 11 to April 12, 2019
- DAT Prelims result for B. Des and GDPD: March 19, 2019
- Rechecking window with payment: March 19-22, 2019
- Download DAT mains admit card (B. Des and GDPD): May 01, 2019
- DAT mains result for M. Des.: May 02, 2019
- DAT mains for B. Des and GDPD: May 12-19, 2019
- M. Des. Counseling: May 23-24, 2019
- Merit list: May 31, 2019
NID Exam Cutoff details
NID has released its category and course wise last rank (cut-off) for DAT 2019:
NID Admission Process
The DAT Prelims is a 3-hour paper divided into two parts: Objective type with 70 MCQ questions and subjective type with sketching questions worth 30 marks. The pattern remains the same for both B. Des and M. Des.
DAT Mains is further divided into two parts: Studio test and Interview. Only candidates who successfully cleared prelims are invited to the mains. The studio tests involve aspirants taking up hands-on assignments to finish within the given time.
Candidates who clear mains move onto counseling and confirm their admission to the institute.
NID Exam Result Date
DAT Prelims results for both B. Des and M. Des for the year 2019 came out on March 19 and February 15 respectively. Followed by which, the aspirants had their DAT Mains, later the counseling. NID released the final merit list on May 31.
Although securing a NID admission is often enough for students to get great career opportunities, the institute trains and encourages its students to explore their chosen industry while they are still in college. Every year they have a campus drive where major recruiters like Wipro, Zomato, Myntra, and many more hire students.
A NID admission guarantees a wide variety of job paths for the students. While the salary of the graduates depends on the industry and company they join, an average package ranges from 35 to 75 Lakhs.
NID studio test
NID Studio test is one of two components in the DAT Mains apart from a personal interview. The test takes place only in the Ahmedabad campus. It will be of 100 marks and comes in different formats such as hands-on practical assignments for B. Des aspirants. For M. Des applicants, the studio test is of 100 marks with the medium being the English language. They will be conducted separately for different disciplines, followed by group discussion. The studio test is followed by a personal interview.
Portfolio for NID admission
Admission into NID, like most design schools, requires you to have a portfolio that the panel decides to judge an applicant’s creativity. It can include any and every relevant artwork of the candidate, from his or her childhood to the present time. A portfolio is judged based on the creativity in the concept of the artwork as well as the arrangement of the works. During the personal interview, candidates will be asked about their portfolio.
Why OPUS to get admission in NID
It must be clear by now, the rigorousness of the NID admission process; coupled with high demand and limited seats, getting into the institution may seem next to impossible. However, with the right coaching center, an aspirant can easily make into NID with merit. OPUS, with around ten entries during the 2018-19 admission cycle, is the one-stop guide to clear DAT exams and get into NID. Join our preparation course today and sail through the entrance examinations towards a NID degree.